I’m making the rounds eating at vegan, vegetarian, and raw food restaurants in Los Angeles and enjoying comparative food trends. At ISA staffing we’re seeing more clients ask for Chefs who have this experience working in households (see job descriptions we place). Below are some places to explore if you’ve not eaten these food styles, which are healthy and delicious. I call them styles of food because like all other cuisine, they have a specified cultural range. Not all of these spots are strictly vegan or vegetarian, but they do have this cuisine substantially included into their menu planning. I’ve been eating raw food for decades, and know that this cuisine actually started long before it became trendy. Although I’m no longer strictly raw, I do include it as a high percentage of my food intake. I’ve discovered that being all raw was not working for me, but everyone’s needs are uniquely different.
A longevity staple of the golden age of hollywood, in those days, raw steak tartare (filet amÃ©ricain)Â was considered one of the healthiest meals you could enjoy (still is, in Europe, Mexico, Asia, and by foodies alike). Legend has it that the infamous actress Mae West ate a raw steak daily as the reason for her long life and healthy libido, she lived well into her 90’s. The story told is that Mae had many of the local college football players coming around loving her company. We seem to be moving away from eating animal proteins on the one hand, yet it’s interesting to note that more steak houses open all the time. If you’re into it, you can find raw steak and tuna tartare served in the bar lounge atÂ The Four Seasons on Doheny, Beverly Hills.
Whatever your food preferences are, vegan and raw are a fast growing lifestyle that Chefs need in their repertoire. Our clients look for Chefs who have a widely expert cooking range and top references, and if you do, we’d love to help you find that dream job. Meanwhile check out these places and their variety, not all high end or fancy fare, but a good representation of local eats in these food trends.
2. Real Food Daily (West Hollywood) – The organic vegan favorite menu attracts vegetarians and some who aren’t, including a diet-conscious VIP cliental. See more…
3. Flowering Tree (West Hollywood) – This casualÂ cafÃ©Â menu is jam packed with organic vegetarian and vegan choices, and for the carnivores, fresh meats from family farms.
5. M Cafe de Chaya (Beverly Hills) – A spin off of Chaya (Beverly Hills, Venice, and San Francisco), this gourmet modern inspired by macrobiotic menu is by world renowned Chef Â Shigefumi Tachibe. M can quickly become an obsession that many of our clients favor. This modest cafe setting takes it higher with great reviews.
6. Inn of the Seventh Ray (San Fernando Valley) – Long considered a romantic date rendez-vous, this famous Inn provides vegan, with a variety of organic meat and meat-free options, and alcohol-free wines. More about their Chefs history and their menu.
7. Real Raw Live (Hollywood) – Serving organic raw smoothies, raw and vegan concoctions, including Master Cleanse in a bottle to go, they specialize in a 5 day raw food cleanse and a 3 day organic juice fast.